RTM (RESIN TRANSFER MOLDING)
RTM is a low pressure injection technology.
Liquid resin injection molding is a manual or semi-automated process carried out between a rigid mold and counter tool.
Reinforcements in the form of mats, fabrics or preformed items are placed in the mold chamber. The mold is then securely closed and the resin is injected inside under low pressure.
Where used :
- The manufacturing of large workpieces with two smooth sides, for moderate investments.
- Parts are reproducible. The labor has little influence over the quality of the product. Productivity is higher than with contact and simultaneous injection molding technics.
- The complexity of shapes is limited. Strengthening rates and characteristics are quite low. Post-molding finishing is necessary.
RIM (REACTION INJECTION MOULDING) / PU / PDCDP
This process consists of injecting a mixture of two liquid constituents into a closed mold. As the two constituents react with one another, a polymer is formed.
Without flow media, closed-mold molding can be done. Compression takes place along with curing.
Where used: :
- Working at low pressure, this technology is well suited to the manufacturing of large workpieces.
- The robustness of the process is reassuring. But the design of the parts and tooling, the process design and the resources needed for implementation are considerable.